Application Deadline: November 17, 2017
America needs transformative leaders in our schools. We need school leaders who promote the learning and growth of all students by cultivating a strong culture of teaching and learning, setting ambitious goals, and ensuring that teachers have the resources, training, and support to achieve them. In the School Leadership Program (SLP), you will develop the critical leadership skills to make a real difference in the lives of learners. You will learn how to motivate and train excellent teachers, to manage the complex needs of students and parents, to measure the effectiveness of school programs, and to steer a large and complex institution toward greater social equity and maximum educational impact.
This principal pipeline program is a unique collaboration between Teach For America (TFA), the Harvard Graduate School of Education (HGSE) and Chicago Public Schools (CPS). TFA alumni who demonstrated significant student achievement gains in their classrooms, and who taught for at least four years, are eligible to apply. If accepted, TFA Chicago-Northwest Indiana will cover 50% of tuition. The pipeline is a two-year program, with the first year taking place in the School Leadership Program at HGSE and the second year in a Chicago-based residency.
- Four years of full-time paid teaching experience;
- Commitment to serving as a leader in a public school setting in Chicago for 4 years;
- Desire to be influential agents of change, turning around underperforming institutions and making already good schools and organizations better;
- Leadership experience preferred;
- Professional Educators License
TFA Harvard School Leadership Cohort Application
A completed application should include the following materials:
- Online Application
- Essay: Why do you want to be a school leader? Your response should speak to the CPS principal competencies and your desire to positively impact schools and communities through school leadership.
- Three Letters of Reference: At least one letter should be provided by your principal, AP, department chair, or another school leader in your school building.
Please complete the online application and submit the required materials to Whitney.Knight@teachforamerica.org.
If accepted to the TFA Harvard School Leadership Cohort, you will be required to apply directly to Harvard Graduate School of Education by December 23, 2016.
A completed application to HGSE should include the following materials:
- Online Application
- Statement of Purpose
- Three Professional Letters of Recommendation
- GRE Score